MDDE Capstone Portfolio

Artefact 5: MDDE 660: On the Topic of Leadership

Artefact 5 reflects how I came to a new understanding of leadership and how I applied theory it introduced. This was one of my most enjoyable courses because of the diversity of the course, this professionalism and participation of the instructors, the variety of the activities and the valuable lessons that it taught about leadership.

Leadership: A New Perspective

My fifth artefact comes from MDDE 660, Leadership in Distance Education, which introduced me to the endless variety of leadership styles that exist. It made me aware that anyone, even myself, can bring substantial change through effective leadership. I came into the course under the assumption that leadership was associated with power and management. My beliefs were quickly dispelled in the first article we were asked to read, which outlined a wide spectrum of past, present and potentially future leadership styles. Authors described the styles that I could personally relate to as outdated and ineffective. It was refreshing to see that there were modern alternatives that I felt would be very effective in practice. I gravitated towards two styles that distribute leadership among groups. I find that my company practices LMX Leadership and I greatly enjoy it; this empowers and energizes each employee by assigning them leadership responsibility. I feel that work best under this style and will attempt to apply the same style when leading. It’s a welcome change from working under leaders who have dictated from above and never relinquished their power to subordinates.

This course also helped me realize that one leadership style does not suit every situation. At work I’ve applied a variety of leadership styles depending on the parties involved (6.5). Some colleagues enjoy complete independence while others want consistent reassurance that they are not alone and who prefer frequent meetings to ensure they are on track. Regardless of the style, each individual, including myself, works well when we feel empowered, feel trusted and have certain control over our projects. Assessing the merit of leadership styles can be easy when reflecting on old bosses, and the ones I had in Japan were often were exemplified many times in discussion when demonstrating the ineffectiveness of outdated management styles.

I’ve been in leadership roles, but this typically happens organically, meaning that I was never formally delegated the title as leader; I simply had the skills and motivation required to complete a project and therefore had become leader. I was comfortable in these informal leadership roles, but after taking this course I have become more comfortable in a formal leadership role. I have helped lead our department into gamification (6.1, 6.3), and integrate a synchronous collaborative tool (6.4).

My Greek counterparts contributed to my learning experience by offering their perspectives in discussion forums. However, it was challenging to keep up with the numerous and very lengthy forum posts (4.5). There were forum guidelines suggesting entries be limited to fewer than 200 words, but many peers posted entries over 800 words. I felt these peers were inconsiderate of students’ time. I made a conscious effort to keep my entries to 100 words or less (4.1), which resulted in good online collaboration because students generally read them. Others followed from my example, which I found to be a form of leadership I strongly subscribe to, lead by example (4.2). I haven’t had many good role-models to learn leadership techniques from, so these seemingly small advancements are personally substantial.

Although this wasn’t a prescriptive course on leadership it did offer insight into the principles of effective leadership.  I was looking forward to starting the major assignment for this course (artefact 5 – PowerPoint Presentation) and found myself completely engaged in the topic, leadership in BC’s public school system, because I have two children in grades 2 and 3 (1.9, 4,3). We were asked to outline a current social problem and suggest alternative leadership styles that may better address the situation (1.1, 1.2). My research uncovered some promising alternatives to traditional K-12 education (1.4). It became apparent that change lies in the leadership (1.5); each alternative school, such as the very popular (reflected by its 6-year waiting list) Langley School of Arts, has a different leadership style than mainstream public schools. This has allowed me to consider various leadership styles for compatibility in my career as an educator. I felt more empowered to lead as the course progressed knowing that people are more inclined to accept change and new ideas when they are included in the decision process.  

My research into various leadership theory uncovered a wide gap between what public education is and what various groups feel it needs to be (5.1, 5.2). Artefact 5 demonstrates my understanding of leadership in the educational system and how alternative systems are vying to influence mainstream education (5.3, 5.4). The more I researched the more disheartened I became about the leadership in the public schools. Alternative schools have passionate, motivated and inspiring leaders who promise to bring much needed change. This has motivated me to take the reins whenever they are made available (5.8). I do so with reluctance because I never had the confidence to lead. Now it is different. I know that leading is not just sitting in a high chair delegating – leading is inspiring others to follow and empowering them to improve a situation for their sake and for the sake of the community (4.4). I have the ability to do this at work (6.5). Am I up for it? Only time will tell.

I recently started my career as an e-Learning designer, a shift from an in-class business English trainer. I am creating health and safety e-Learning courses with one colleague, who is my supervisor. I have 20 years teaching experience and a newly acquired MEd, so my supervisor often asks for my guidance. I can’t and won’t “lead” him as I respect his seniority, but I can adopt a distributed leadership or LMX leadership style, which won’t interfere with the hierarchy of the department. Without knowing these democratic styles of leadership existed I would assume that I would be stepping on toes and may create resentment or animosity as I have in the past (1.11). By understanding these styles I am confident that I can work closely with him and the department to lead our company into the dynamic world of e-Learning, which in turn will save lives and reduce injury to workers across British Columbia (4.7, 4.8).

Effective Leadership in Education

Competencies Achieved

1) Problem Solving, Analysis, & Decision Making

1.1 Recognize problems
1.2 Define the aspects of problems
1.4 Find and access information
1.5 Critically evaluate the relevance of information for a given situation
1.9 Present them to others
1.11 Adapt solutions to suit varied situations.

4) Communication & Interpersonal Skills

4.1 Write clearly and in a style appropriate to purpose (e.g. assignments, essays, published documents, and theses)
4.2 Construct coherent arguments and articulate ideas clearly to a range of audiences, formally and informally, through a variety of techniques and media
4.3 Justify and defend your ideas orally and in writing in meetings, forums, seminars, exams and other contexts
4.4 Support the learning of others when involved in teaching, mentoring, moderating, collaboration or demonstration activities
4.5 Participate and contribute effectively in collaborative group activities
4.7 Work cooperatively with diverse groups and individuals both within the university and/or in the workplace
4.8 Organize, and convey your ideas effectively through a range of communication skills and work collaboratively and in teams.

5) Research

5.2 Identify, discuss and apply theoretical considerations to proposed research
5.4 Critically review literature both broadly and in-depth
5.7 Effectively communicate information, arguments, and analyses in the discipline of Distance Education, in a variety of forms, to suit different contexts and audiences
5.8 Critically analyze the issues and discuss the wider implications affecting the use of information 

6) Management, Organization and Leadership

6.1 Analyze the current and future climate of the distance education and distance learning industry, and formulate strategies to respond to that climate
6.3 Make considered recommendations regarding the selection of appropriate learning technologies and assure that these selections meet organizational needs
6.4 Outline and critically compare the relative costs of appropriate technology-based communications methods in distance education and ensure that the organization is receiving a good return on investment
6.5 Manage workload, other commitments, and information needs within time and structural constraints (in both personal and team management situations).